Use my link below for Great Prices on School & Homeschool Curriculums

Great deals on School & Homeschool Curriculum Books and Software

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm a blessed mommy



Today was one of those days....it was lovely! The kids and I slept in a bit and started the day taking our time getting things started for school. I got a call from the company that installed our furnace wanting to check how things were going and they had a cancellation and wanted to know if they could come in an hour...so I said sure. I had to rush to get ready and it put my school plans on hold a bit but the kids went off and played Lego's together while I got ready and then while the guy was here checking on things. I thought what a blessing it was that I could be so flexible and take care of that today.

The kids and I had another great school day. They are doing so well. All the kids have moved on to next years Language Arts curriculum, Bradley is about 5 chapters away from being done with math, Tyler is on his last chapter and Ryan is 2/3 done with next years math. They blow me away with their love of learning.

We had a moment today when I was talking about something in regards to classroom expectations if they went to school at some point and Bradley said, "Mommy, I don't want to stop homeschooling and go to school". I told him I wasn't meaning we were going to stop homeschooling. I told him the only reason we'd send him to school is if we felt the Lord wanted us to but at this point I feel very sure He wants us to keep doing it as we are. I was curious why he said that, thinking it would be for reasons like he wouldn't have time to do things he gets to do now when his work is done. I asked him why he didn't want to go to school and he said, "Because you are a better teacher and I like homeschooling". Talk about warm this Mommy's heart! I'm so thankful he enjoys it as much as I do. It's such a joy to get to teach him. I love how the Lord brings things into our day to use in our schooling and I just can't imagine it being any different. I feel so blessed!

I heard of a situation today of a little girl who was told some REALLY hurtful things at school by a classmate. It frustrates me to know how mean kids can be. If only they truly understood how important our words to one another are. I used this as an opportunity to talk to the kids about the importance of being an encourager. We don't know what kind of things kids are being told...whether it be from friends, siblings, parents, etc..and God could put them in their path for the purpose of needing to hear something positive about themselves. I'm challenging them and us as a family to be that for people. I read a great parenting book in dealing with alot of these issues and I talked to them about this example. Imagine you have a board...every time you say something hurtful to someone you have to pound a nail in that board. You can ask forgiveness and take that nail out...but what is still there?? Ryan said, "the hole". That's exactly right. Words DO hurt and even if you say you are sorry, it's hard for us to forget things that were said about us or to us. How much better would it be to be one who says nice things about one another for them to remember about themselves. Let's lead by example by using our words with our children and encourage them and show them how God wants us to treat one another. And lets not just write it off as normal 'sibling behavior' and allow them to be rude to one another. Let's encourage them to love one another and be each others biggest cheerleader. One of the biggest joys for me is to see one of my kids encouraging one of their siblings. I tell them often that God gave them a precious gift....they each have three buddies in their life that they need to take very good care of...they can be each others biggest supporters in life. Our pastor asked on Sunday if we have at least two people who would stand beside us no matter what and what a blessing if that could start now for them. I'm thankful to have more than two that I know I could count on no matter what...those who truly understand my heart and my passions and share them with me. That is a precious gift!

I also should say...when I heard about this situation with the young girl at school...I really felt a nudging from the Lord that I needed to have a talk with the kids about these type of situations and remind them of the importance of being kind. I thought about it all day trying to decide what I was going to say and what Scripture to use in regards to it. Well at bedtime I got out the current devotional I've been doing with the kids and opened it up and todays devotion was based on Philippians 2:3-4 "Think of others as better than yourselves....Look out for the good of others" These are the moments I know without a doubt, God made lesson plans FOR me AGAIN. He's SO good at that. He often brings situations throughout our day to use in our schooling and am reminded how thankful I am to have the kids home to teach not only academics but more importantly, character. There will always be opportunity for that...and I learn right with them!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Gret~I love reading about their little hearts as they absorb who God made them and their purpose in the world. Way to go mommy and daddy.

samantha said...

I'm glad I found your blog!!